Media Center | APCIA At Work

Hurricane Headquarters

HurricanePreparedness_WEBSITEgraphic

Don’t Wait, Be Ready: 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins June 1

With the start of the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season just around the corner, it is time for families, businesses and communities to take steps to prepare their property and finances.

There were 18 named storms in 2019, which continued the trend of four consecutive years with above-average tropical storm activity. According to Colorado State University’s 2020 outlook, there is a 45 percent chance of an above-average hurricane season, a 45 percent chance of a near-average season and just a 10 percent chance of a below-average season.

Preparedness is key and that means starting early by preparing your home and property, developing emergency plans and an emergency supply kit, contacting your insurance agent or company to review your property insurance policy, purchasing flood insurance, and creating a home inventory. It is especially important to review your insurance policy and understand how it works.

If your home or vehicle sustain any hurricane-related damage this year, call your insurance company as soon as possible.

APCIA has a wide range of resources available to help homeowners and businesses prepare for and recover from hurricane season.

Follow us on Twitter @TeamAPCIA and use #HurricanePrep or #HaveAPlan to keep the conversation going.